Thursday, April 30, 2009

Pete @ GOMH

Today Pete woke me up around 6AM to go fishing. After a couple of cold fish sandwiches we were off to the GOMH. When we arrived it was overcast with a 10-15 MPH South Wind. My fishing pals Don Weinmeister and Lantern Man were already there, both fishing the SW side. A guy who I gave fish to yesterday was also fishing the SW side. We watched for a while as they caught a few small silver bullheads. We were not there long and Don decided to call it quits, he went home with at least 7 silver bullheads, I am not sure if he had a few oranges in the bucket. With Don's departure we headed down to the SW side and Pete met Lantern Man. LM rubbed Pete the wrong way. Pete also discovered that it was LM who was giving the guy who I met a couple of nights ago the hard time. LM was under the impression that "party fishing" was not allowed in Minnesota. We told him it was, but he refused to believe us. Anyway Pete started catching a few small silver bullheads and I caught my only fish of the day which was a jumpin bullhead. Eventually LM and the other guy left and the wind picked up. Pete thought we should try the North side of the bridge, so we picked up and moved. When we were moving Conservation Officer Kuske stopped by for his 2nd time of the day.

When we were fishing the NW side, Lantern Man came back and apologized to us about not listening when we were talking about "party fishing;" LM had flagged down Kuske and asked him about it. LM felt really bad that he had been so in the wrong with that guy and was hoping he would get a chance to apologize to him or if we saw the guy to let him know how bad he felt. While we were talking with LM the guy who was fishing the SE side and talking a lot with Pete yesterday showed up and started fishing the SE side. Pete and I gave the NE side a try with nothing. While Pete was still fishing the NE side I stood on the bridge and talked to the guy and John W. who were fishing the SE side. It was drizzling and I kept having to wipe my glasses because I was looking into the wind. Eventually Pete showed up and went down the SW side. I took refuge in the car.

It started to clear up but the wind stayed pretty strong. Pete caught a smallmouth bass, but he released it before I got a chance to see it. I wish I would have got a picture. The guy who talked a lot with Pete yesterday claimed that they catch smallies by his place on Sullivan. There is a very small population of smallies in Sullivan, I personally have never caught one.

I went back in the truck until GOM Willard showed up. Willard and Pete started giving one another a hard time and I got a good laugh. Willard was talking about how Pete can't get any women. I got the story on why Willard doesn't care for CO Kuske and I told Willard about "Ricky Bobby" from yesterday and he had the same guy do the same thing to him a few days earlier. Willard didn't stay long and I went back in the truck. At some point a guy who fished the SW side with us yesterday showed up. This guy and Pete started hammering the orange bullheads. The guy who Pete talked to yesterday kept waking me up to get 1 of Pete's beers in the cooler. The guy drank 4 of them.

I had a dream that I was at the GOMH fishing with Pete and an old guy wanted to measure the orange bullheads we were catching and I also dreamed I was hanging out in Pete's car instead of fishing.

Around 1PM Pete called it quits. He cleaned up the orange bullheads and single silver and we ate them as fish sandwiches for lunch.

No comments: