Sunday, May 14, 2017

Snake Fest At Clown Show Level 50%

15.25" Whopper Plopper 90 (Powder)
6:00-11:00PM Dock, Loon Sex Bay, GOMH NE
Conditions: 77-57℉, Partly Cloudy, Breezy out of the ENE

Due to the good fishing I experienced yesterday I didn't get out to fish at Mille Lacs last night/this morning. Instead I slept in and then watched the boys struggle at Lake Eufaula in Alabama.  I managed to get one hammer handle off the dock.  I then headed in the Trophy to Loon Sex Bay which is semi protected from the wind that was blowing 15-20 MPH out of the East.

I started with a buzzbait, but when that didn't produce a bite in the first 5 minutes in water where I thought I should get something.  I switched up to the small Whopper Plopper and got the 15.25" on the very first cast.  I thought this could be good.  When I went to write the fish information down the page I had written on for tonight it flew out into the lake.  The clown show had started.  I retrieved it.  And started a new page.
17" Whopper Plopper 90(Powder)
I then got a small snake.  I went to write the info down and about 6 pages flew out of the book.  Just great.  I needed to use the jaw spreader.  When I went to pull the hook out the spreader popped out and into the lake disappearing in the mucky bottom.  Definitely a clown show kind of a night.  But I was determined to get things together.  I caught one more small bass on the Plopper before the hay made me switch up to a Horny Toad.  No frogs or frog rods in the boat, Doh!

I caught a couple snakes on the Horny Toad.  I had a couple fish slap at it that might have been bass, but couldn't get a follow up on a Kinami Flash.  I missed a couple of really good blow ups and then the Toad got ripped up by a small pike.  I switched to Tatula 7'2" heavy, which I also am using for  Horny Toad rod;  Don't really care for it in that role, however, the tip is a little to stiff.  Eventually that Toad got ripped up by the snakes.  So I put new Toads on both rods and went to using the 7'3" LTB MH, which I prefer for Horny Toads.  I set the hook into a fish and my line broke.  I figured it was at the knot where my braid and Tyger Leader met.  When I went to see if maybe I could spot the toad I saw my line floating; It broke about 12 feet up from the Toad as this picture shows.
I then noticed the line was moving because the fish still had the Toad.  I got to the line, but the fish came off so I don't know what it was.  At least I got my leader, hook, and toad back.  There were a couple of huge snappers swimming around  the area I was fishing.

I had been having issues controlling the boat in the shallow water.  I finally came to the realization that I had the shaft length set to long on the trolling motor.  I continued to get only snakes.  I missed a couple of bites on a Hack Attack jig by a dock.  I also missed a couple of bites on Grass Pig on a weighted swim bait hook.

I started throwing the big Plopper while making my way to Loon Sex;  Didn't get any hits on that.  I got a couple of bigger pike than I had been catching off the point with the bluegill Pure Poison.  It was getting dark.  I tried a couple of docks and didn't get a hit and it was getting cool out so I headed in.  The front light on the Trophy worked, so the clown show was officially over.

It didn't look like anyone was parked at the GOMH when I was out fishing and when I arrived I found out a big reason why.  Too many weeds had been blown in on the Sullivan side which was protected from the wind.  On the NE side I got myself two goldens and one last toothy.
19" Rippin Rap (Firetiger)

17.5" Grass Pig
I was getting cold as I didn't bring any sweatshirts with, so I called it a night at 11PM.

15 Pike
2 Largie
2 Gold


No comments: