Monday, May 15, 2017

Mille Lacs & Dink Fest at the GOMH

Three Trips Today: Mille Lacs and the GOMH Twice
A little more wind and haze this morning

My arsenal for the night
2:00-4:30AM Eddy's Jetty North Corner
Conditions: Mid 50's, Hazy Moon with clouds moving in at about 4AM, Windy out of the ESE dialing it back a bit as the night wore on.

There was a thunderstorm to the North East that put on quite a lightening show for me for about an hour and a half.  It was up by Grand Rapids so I definitely couldn't hear any thunder.  I started out throwing various Rippin Raps and just couldn't buy a bite. Forty five minutes of that and I switched to the Grass Pig.
I might be on to something?
I had the tail bit off the Grass Pig.  I put another one on and moved to the North Corner where I had a good one smoke it.

25" Grass Pig (Swamp Gas)
 I think on my third cast back I was hooked up again with a nice one.

23.75" Grass Pig
 About 15 casts later it was fish on with my longest of the morning.

25.75" 
 About 15 minutes later I got this one.

23" Grass Pig
Then I ran into some issues.  My Fireline got dug into it's self really badly and it took me probably 15 minutes to get that straightened out.  Then I had 4 consecutive fish get off and then my tail got bit off again.

I did finally land one, but the size shrunk.
15.33" Grass Pig
 The clouds moved in and they stopped hitting the Grass Pig.  I got one last fish on the purple perch Husky Jerk.
14.5" Husky Jerk (Purple Perch)
My upper back was really starting to ache, so with that fish I packed up and headed to the GOMH after doing some stretching.

6 Walleyes
_____________________________________________________________________
Morning GOMH Trip

5:30-8:00AM GOMH NE SE
Conditions: Mid 50's, Mostly Cloudy, Wind ENE, water clearing and falling a little

16.5" Piranha with Swim Fluke Jr.
This golden bullhead was all over the Piranha and into the pail.  I then got another one.
19" Piranha
With the two I got last night looks like walleye's on the menu this week.  That was it for bites I landed on the Piranha. The panfish guy showed up just after I landed the second golden. Baitfish were getting busted out, so I switched to a Grass Pig and landed a 15" and a couple of dink jumpers on the Grass Pig.  I missed several hits on the Grass Pig.  Maybe should sharpen that hook up.  I switched to the Tomato Jerk Shad and landed this fat pre-spawner from under the tube.
17" Jerk Shad (Tomato)
 I landed one more good one (15") from under the tube, then the Dink Fest began.

The sun was getting up soI switched to the SE side.  I started out getting more dinks with the Jerk Shad, but I got a couple of good one's as well.
16" Tomato Jerk Shad
 I started throwing topwater and could only get dinks.
10" Whopper Plopper (Bone/Red)
12" Knock Off Shower Blows
I was really impressed with the knock off Shower Blows.  It casts like a rocket and has great action.  The hooks are sharp, but a little bit brittle as I discovered taking the hook out off a bass during the afternoon trip.
10.5" Lucky Craft Gunfish 117
I made my goal of catching a fish on the Lucky Craft Gunfish 117.  I caught 1 dink on a green pumpkin craw tube.  I got a toothy on the Jerk Shad.  My back was starting to bug me again, so with that I left.

2 Gold
1 Toothy
24 Jumpers
Six Best Jumpers (17, 16, 15, 15, 14, 12)
________________________________________________________________
Afternoon GOMH Trip
10.5" KO Shower Blows (Chart/Hrg Bone)
3:30-5:00PM GOMH SW SE
Conditions: 60℉, Mostly Cloudy with rain earlier, ENE Wind, Water is definitely clearing up

It stopped raining after my chiropractic appointment.  I was heading to the GOMH rain or shine.  Just as well I prefer to not get wet.  It was basically back to the dink fest with a couple good blow misses.  I got 15" and 14.75" on the Shower Blows Knock Off and a 14" on the Tomato Jerk Shad.  Mike B. was out in the Tuffy today and stopped by to catch up for a little while.  As I was packing up to leave the sun came up along with the wind and the dogfish lady showed up, so I talked with her for a little while.

13 Jumpers
2 Toothy

For the Day my totals were
6 Walleye
2 Golden
37 Jumpers
3 Toothy

No comments: