Friday, February 11, 2005

More Crappie Fishing

Before I get into the report here is pics of the holes cut in such a way as to make landing the fish easier. The 1st is the farther West hole I've been fishing and the 2nd is the father East hole; I like the 2nd set up better cause it had a "ramping" option (to the top) as well as a "holding pool" (to the left). The 1st only had "ramping" and a poor ramp at that, I think the "holding pool" is the way to do it.
Posted by Hello

Posted by Hello

(Once again Oldest then Newest Report)
2/9/05 After Listening to FLW results and Tutts not having Maggots in I was ready to head out to "The Hole" for more whacking and stacking. I caught lots O Crappie, but only 1 was between 9-12inches and so a keeper in BP's system.

For those who don't know this is the BP's unofficial system:
0-8.99inches Go Back
9-12inches are Keepers
12-14.5inches Go Back
14.5 or Bigger may or may not got back depending on camera availability and how much I feel like showing the fish off.
(My personal best Crappie is only 13inches)

The big one came on a big minnow and I think I lost one other keeper sized fish. The minnow head and Custom Jigs&Spins Glow Demon was a killer on the "Bulldog Specials." Fished from about 6-8PM the fish just shut down around 7:40 or so. All in all I bet I brought up 20-30 and almost none were suspenders. Most were fairly aggressive with some coming up rapidly and missing the bait completely.

Where are the big dudes?

2/10/05
Once again headed out after Toho FLW results were done. Earlier I headed up to Tutts and got some Spikes and I a went into Bear Trax to get some minnows. Bear Trax didn't have much to report; some sporatic Crappie action on Sullivan but apparently they are having to weed through the little one's over there as well, if they are getting any at all. I was heading back to "The Hole" and my super two that I have been fishing all week. It was a wee bit windy out of the South, wind opposite of what it has been so my house was facing Nort, and was it snowing a little when I first got out there so no moving around tonight.

Today was a little like yesterday in that I only got one keeper and the number of fish was about the same with maybe a few less tonight, around 20 or so. However, there were suspenders and I got several fish tonight that were just shy of 9inches. I didn't use minnow heads much and got the 1 keeper (10")on the jigged Glow Demon and a whole small minnow. Got several small Crips on large minnows under the Ice Buster Bobber. I tried the maggots but the fish wanted nothing to do with them, several times they came up and swam away quickly. For whatever reason Platte Lake Crappies seem to love minnows way more than Maggies. At least I have the Maggies for Satuday's contest on Bulldog, those Bulldog Special's love maggots.

After getting off the Ice it was time to clean some fish and have fresh fish for din din.

Posted by Hello
Actually I did clean these tonight plus 1 but didn't eat these. I ate the one's I cleaned the other nite. I'm giving tonights fillets to the neighbors. And No I was not overlimit, I had 5 already cleaned and then I had the 5 I cleaned tonight.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking Basspastor, I was checking out sources of info on ice fishing shelter and I stumbled across your post about More Crappie Fishing that you have a great site here. I'm personally working hard at developing an online business around ice fishing shelter and I'd like to share this site with some of my own subscribers. Thanks for letting me stop by Basspastor...I'll be back.