Tuesday, February 15, 2005

2/13&14/2005

This time I'm going from New to Old

2/14/05 I really blew it this day. I spent to much time putting together my brother Steve's B-Day blog. It was beautiful all morning and for much of the afternoon, but by 4PM when I finally got out the clouds had moved in and it got super windy. I wasn't fishing when the front passed through and the weather was perfect for scouting Bass with the sun helping Aqua View visibility.

I did go out and check around an area that I think could hold Bass and what I saw in the limited time I had to search was at least encouraging. The right kind of weeds on this spot. While I did not see any Bass or Sunfish I did have two different Pike take a look at the camera. Last year it was not uncommen to get Pike with the Bass. I had one of the Pike on but only for a second or two. It was pretty cool as I got a great look at the second Pike I saw. It looked at one point like he was gonna charge the camera and then he was suspending to profile right in front of the camera with his mouth slightly open so I could see his toothy grin. Kind of the Pike version of "Leon."

This reminds me of a story I didn't tell from 3 or 4 nights ago. A couple of small Crappie were about 6ft off the bottom looking at my minnow when all of a sudden a "solid red" came flying off the bottom and disappeared with one of "little reds" that had been looking at the minnow. On the Vex that translates in watching a Crappie get "Whacked" by a Northern Pike. It was pretty cool. Wish I could have seen that with the camera.

Anyway after missing the Pike it was starting to get dark and I wanted to see if the front had the Crappies going or not. It was seriously windy on "The Hole." I was in the West holes again tonight cause I didn't have to auger. I got one 10" keeper and a couple that were just short of 9", most were 5" or under and it was kind of slow, the fish were not aggressive and wanted the little minnows tonight. I did find a propane bottle in the garage and so I had light tonight.

2/13/05
Fishing in the Sleet and Rain how interesting. When I got out to the hole there were some friends of Don W. who had just set up and so I went over and talked with them for a couple of minutes. They ended up catching about 10-15 that they kept but they were keeping 7"- 8" fish and they had one near 11" which is as big as any I've gotten this year.

Anyway I set up in the West Holes and was fishing by 5:15 cause I didn't have the lantern thanks to running out of Propane last night. The fish came in bunches and I three separate doubles. I got a probably 7 fish just short of 9" and 4 Crappies between 9" and 10.25." I lost a couple of good one's as well. Got a couple of mini's but not many small 4"-7" Fish. When they came in they were very aggressive and the bigger the minnow the better. I even put down a rogue 2.5" shiner that was in with the Crappie minnows and a 8" fish took that. Things really slowed down about 7PM and by 8PM I was off the ice.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Basspastor: I came here looking for information on ice fishing shelter and found your post on 2/13&14/2005. Although it's not quite the information I was looking for, I appreciate the chance to have a read. I'll definately be checking back in. I'm off to look for more resources for ice fishing shelter. If you have any more great suggestions, please post them here and I'll come back to check. Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes!!! I've been trying all day to find little know sources of "real" people online with thoughts and ideas about ice fishing equipment. I stumbled on to your porst about 2/13&14/2005 and although it's not exactly what I was looking for, it certainly caught my attention. I'm personally building a resource for ice fishing equipment and hope you might stop by and check it out when you have a chance...let me know your thoughts. I'll be sure to send people this way as well. Thanks Basspastor...Cheers!

Anonymous said...

Holy smokes!!! I've been trying all day to find little know sources of "real" people online with thoughts and ideas about ice fishing shelter. I stumbled on to your porst about 2/13&14/2005 and although it's not exactly what I was looking for, it certainly caught my attention. I'm personally building a resource for ice fishing shelter and hope you might stop by and check it out when you have a chance...let me know your thoughts. I'll be sure to send people this way as well. Thanks Basspastor...Cheers!