Friday, February 03, 2017

Back On Rock

1st Fish/9" VMC Tubby w/Jamei (purple)
2nd Fish/5.5" VMC Fly w/Jamei
3rd Fish/5.5" VMC Fly w/Jamei
4:20-8:10PM Rock Lake My Spot
Conditions: 19-16℉, Mostly turning cloudy, Wind SW, 14'-16' of water

I needed to get new water on the minnows, it was reasonably warm today, and I needed a break from the Internet, so I went fishing at Rock today.  Since it snowed this week nobody had been in my area.  I drilled 3 sets of holes and started on my hot spot from last time.  I put the minnow down first and nothing was happening.  I then called some fish over with the Rippin' Rap.  I put down the VMC Tubby with Maki Jamei and got that first crappie on it.  I then caught the Sunfish on the VMC Fly with white Maki Jamei.  I got the perch on the Fly;   Immediately after taking the picture my bobber went down. It was a big fish that broke my line 4" down on my foot long dropper line;  It may have been a pike, but it didn't cut me off.  I just misplayed the fish trying to rush it up to the hole.

I got my bobber rod retied and started getting a few crappies on that, the Fly and the Tubby.  Then at about 5:40 the fish disappeared.  So I went to the second set of holes.  First thing I pulled up there was this nice gill.
8.5" VMC Fly w/Jamei (white)
As it got dark the crappies moved in and I caught a bunch of them.  Mostly on the Glow Demon minnow, but I got a few on the VMC Fly and Tubby as well.  The fish were running a half to three quarters of an inch smaller than my last trip with a couple 7" and 8" thrown in as well.  I got 3 that were legitimately at least 10" and nothing over 10.5".  The bite was consistent enough that I never moved until I left.  It wasn't the mad house bite like last trip, but I still got over 8 fish an hour on average.

27 Crappies
2 Sunfish
1 Perch  

No comments: